Check It Out!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A bit more...while I figure out how I'm going to load pics

It does not matter how sweaty you are, if you are female, and even more so if you are a blonde, people will wave, honk, cat-call and hiss at you in Costa Rica...and by people, of course I mean Ticos.

More than sunscreen, I need bug spray. I counted more than 30 bites between my knee and my foot on one leg yesterday...I think that public health agent, Caitlin, would have something to say about this. Luckily for me, West Nile, Malaria and the like are not common to Costa Rica as they are in many other Central and South American countries.

Visitors have to leave the country every 3 months for 72 hours...that means I get more vacation days than anyone I know. Hahaha, ok--not really...but at least it's consistent :)

Walking at midday is a sure way to get drenched...and not in a good way.

Only ticos can open cell phone accounts/lines.

Most ticos don't like frogs or toads, and some even say they prefer snakes.

The roads do not have given names, only names used to describe where they go or names used by locals. Most explanations are given by the number of buildings/streets/signs/etc or by a solid landmark. While this is not completely true in the capital and larger cities (where there is more likely to be a grid system and street names) it still holds true therein, where little roads that were original or that have sprouted amongst buildings still go by landmarks.


Ohh the things one learns within a few days of living somewhere new!

No comments:

Post a Comment